The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix

4.5/5 
Trigger Warnings: what you would expect in a slasher horror movie.

Genre: Horror, Thriller, Mystery

This review will be a rare spoiler-free one. 

I had the privilege of doing a book challenge with my best friend with this book. The challenge is: Each person reads and annotates a book they desire, exchange them to read and annotate, and eventually exchange them back. 

The Final Girl Support Group has been on my tbr (to be read) shelf for so long, and this challenge was the perfect excuse to break my book buying ban. This is my first book I've read from Grady Hendrix, and I can honestly say he is a true prince of horror and thriller (besides Stephen King being the literal King). 

Hendrix creates a sense of uneasiness and suspense as you read this first person novel. I was a bit skeptical about reading a female first person novel written by a man, however, Hendrix executed this in such a beautiful way. Lynette's experiences and life is not overlooked as she lives through her trauma not just once, but in fear, again. 

One thing I that stood out with Hendrix's writing style is the way he formatted the book. At the end of every chapter, is an expert from a news article, police interview transcriptions, movie reviews, and more elements that make this book so real. At some point, more readers should have a moment where they wonder if this is a true story or not. 

It's not.

Yet, Hendrix creates such real characters and a plot that could become all to real. It's an unnerving thought, but it is what made this book so engaging to read.

This book is highly recommended, and I wish you all enjoy it as much as I did. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Anomalia

How To Be Eaten by Maria Adelmann

No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai